Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Blooms, Blooms, Blooms!

Last year my mother-in-law was a huge help getting my flower garden started. Actually, she was the driving force! Without her I would just have had a bunch of weeds in my front yard. I've learned a lot about taking care of flowers and to pay attention to what types of conditions they need from her. This year, I've managed to not kill anything on my own! Things are blooming away!

I've planted some annuals already and the perennials are doing great! I have actually planted quite a bit this past spring. We transplanted some wild honey suckle (not sure if that is what it is or not), forsythia, and jasmin (I think, I never can remember) around our creek bank. My Aunt also gave me some perennials so I'm hoping they will grow back next year big and healthy. Some are looking a little puny. That's not all I have in store either!

We are planning to take out the flower box that is directly under our big, picture window. The cement is cracking and we're afraid it is letting water stand by the walls. Water seeps into our basement terribly so we are trying to get rid of every source we possibly can. Once we get that out of the way, we're going to plant some hydrangeas and I'm also thinking about day lilies. They are so pretty and seem to be very hardy, which I need! I would love to put in a window box, too, and fill it with bright, red gardenias and some sort of hanging flower. Won't that be beautiful?! I'm so excited! We may get to work on it this weekend. If we do I'll be sure to share pictures!

I planted these last spring before Patrick and I moved in. They have done wonderfully! The buttercups doubled! 
We have several visitors who just love all the blooms!
Here are some of the annuals I planted.
Here is the flower box we are going to replace with these hydrangeas.
I never can remember what these are called but arn't they gorgeous?!
I just love these petunias hanging from our porch.
Here is a picture of our vegetable garden this year. Things seem to be growing very well. I've labeled what things are but in case you can't see them very well, here is what we're growing: lettuce, cucumbers, peppers, sugar snap peas (which I need to stake up terrible!), beans, tomatoes, corn, cabbage, onions, ocra, and watermelon. We're also grown pumpkins, more watermelon, and cantaloupe up on top of the hill. 
How is your garden doing so far?

Jess

No comments:

Post a Comment