Tuesday, January 31, 2012

I'm A Dog Lover


I have always been known as Elly May in my family. I love all animals but especially dogs. Since I was about 5 or 6 I have always had one around. My first was a beagle named Spot. She was so gentle. We live next to a major highway though so typically outside dogs don't stick around very long. My second dog was another beagle named Towzer. He only made it about two years before kicking the bucket. After that something very new was brought to our household...an inside dog! Mom, my sister, and I finally broke Dad down enough to let us get a little yorkie!

He was my pride and joy. We named him Pepper (my Dad actually came up with it!). He stuck by my side through thick and thin for 13 years. He was a surely little fella. Most people who knew him well referred to him as the bear killer. If dispositions could kill bears then he certainly would have slain them! He always tried to protect me from his mortal enemy, Patrick, who always stole my attention. He was my buddy. We were like peas and carrots. About five years ago he was diagnosed with heart failure. Two years later his little heart gave out. We had to put him down and that was one of hardest things I've ever had to do.

Pepper

It's been three years now that I've been without a dog but that may be over sometime this year! My husband has opened his own law office (in our house, haha). Business is starting to pick and once we reach a steady income we're going to get a Weimaraner!! Now, I had never heard of this dog before. Patrick was very set against an inside dog but this one has turned his head. Don't get me wrong, he loves dogs just not ones that live inside. I really got excited about this so I started to read up on them and they sound lovely!


The Weimaraner originated in Germany bred to accompany hunters for large game like deer, boar, and even bears! Hunting for large game declined (hmm, wonder why? Bear attacks?) so these dogs were then trained as an all purpose dog. Not only can they track deer but also squirrels and game birds (perfect for Pat)! They are also great family dogs. They love being part of a family and are eager to obey (so I read). With persistent training they are suppose to be very obedient. Weimaraners are very different to train from other dogs because, get this, their feelings are hurt very easily! I know all about that!

 
I am so excited about getting another dog! Another one will never be able to take Pepper's place but it will make it's own impression on my heart. We've already thought of a name...Gus! I can already tell I'm going to be one of the annoying dog moms. I've been searching for DIY dog beds (those things are super expensive!) and homemade doggie treats! If you're a dog lover check me out on Pinterest. I've got loads of stuff for our four legged friends.

If you have any Weimaraner tips please let me in on them!! Until then, keep your fingers crossed that Pat doesn't change his mind ;)!

Jess

2 comments:

  1. Hey Jess! I am so excited to hear that you are getting a Weim!! We have Chaco (our 5 yr old Weim) and she is just a great dog! However, my dad was NOT excited that I brought one home. Most of them are crazy and require extensive amounts of exercise and training. But, they are lovers (a nice way of saying needy and have to be where you are ALL the time). Mike and I only have 2 pieces of advice for you.

    1. Make sure you crate train the dog (talk to me more about this if you are unsure where to start).
    2.Give the dog a job (i.e. have Pat take it hunting). Chaco has an incredible nose and great bird instincts. She flushes out birds at the park all. the. time. She would have been a great hunting dog if we trained her. Also, make sure she gets LOTS of exercise...they tend to get bored.

    But, they are beautiful dogs. Inside and out. I wouldn't change mine for the world! Good luck and I want to see pictures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the advice! We will certainly use it. Pat is very excited about training it to hunt. That's the big reason why he wanted to get this type of dog. I won't have any problem with a "lover" dog! I may actually smother it, haha! We will keep you posted!

      Delete