Friday, August 26, 2011

No More Black Thumb!

Until now, I have never been granted the gift of a green thumb. However, with much help from my mother-in-law, I have had beautiful flowers all summer! I don't know anything about flowers but I have really learned a lot the summer tending and planting them.

We definitely needed some landscaping around our house when we moved in. It was my grandmother's house and she always had a beautiful flower garden. She would care for those flowers as if they were her babies! I even saw her cutting weeds out with a pair of scissors and she was 89! I think she would be very happy with how the garden looks now. We have even bigger plans for next summer! My mother-in-law sketched our landscape design and picked the flowers to plant and did a magnificent job! We just couldn't be happier with how everything turned out.

I'm still learning the names of these flowers but here is a virtual tour of our flower garden:
Our ferns are huge! When we got them, one was much bigger than the other but now they have caught up to one another. 
Petunias 


Not for sure what these are called but they are beautiful!
We filled this flower box with celosia and petunias (I think). It was built in 1958 and in need of major repair. We are thinking of taking it out next spring and planting hydrangeas in it's place. Won't that be gorgeous?!
Celosia
These are my grandma's roses. Not sure what they're called but they sure are pretty!
Our flower garden stretches all the way from our driveway right up to the porch on the house.
Here are some veronica spicata royal candles (tall spindly ones). When I first got them they were full of tall purple flowers. I don't they're getting enough sun. May to have to move them next year
Here are some of our knock our roses and begonias. They have really bloomed beautifully all summer
There use to be two barrels of flowers at the beginning of our driveway but we had some yard work done this summer and one was destroyed. This one made it though and I think it's one of the prettiest sights on the place!
I'm not sure what the little bright orange and yellow flower is but I love it!
We just LOVE these lantanas!
And of course T for Trent

Next spring we will be doing even more work but for now we will enjoy the blooms of the all the flowers I managed not to kill :)

Jess

1 comment: